1) Notify the Department of Administration, Division of Non-Public Education of your intent to operate a school and include your school name, and name of chief administrator. Note you cannot change the name of the school once established.
2) Certify that the persons providing the academic instruction hold at least a high school diploma or its equivalent.
3) Maintain attendance records on each student.
4) Maintain immunization records on each student.
5) Operate on a regular schedule, excluding reasonable holidays and vacations, during at least nine calendar months of the year.
6) Administer a nationally standardized test, or other equivalent measurement, that measures achievement in the areas of English grammar, reading, spelling, and math, to every student each year, and maintain the results on file for one year, subject to inspection by a duly authorized representative of the State.
7) Notify the Department of Administration, Division of Non-Public Education, when closing your school.
NC Division of Non-Public Education (DNPE) 1309 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-1309
Additional details: https://files.nc.gov/ncdoa/SystemHelpfulInformation.pdf